Defending MX2 FIM World Motocross Champion Pauls Jonass announced this morning that he has undergone a procedure on his right ACL and will miss the final round of the series this weekend at Imola.
The 21-year-old Latvian sustained the injury in a crash at the MXGP of Turkey earlier this month. Jonass decided against immediate surgery in hopes of reviving his title chances at the MXGP of The Netherlands two weeks ago. Following a sixth-place finish at Assen, and title rival Jorge Prado sweeping the motos, Jonass elected to undergo surgery this week.
Jonass traveled to the Ortema facility in Stuttgart to have the procedure performed by Dr. Jorg Richter on Wednesday. He is expected to leave the facility by the end of the week, according to the team.
“After Turkey I had some tough times,” Jonass said in a team statement. “The doctors actually told me not to race any more this year but I didn't want to give up on the title so easily. I raced in Assen with a lot of pain and so went to see the doctor again afterwards and they said surgery was necessary. We came to Germany and had the operation yesterday here at Ortema and I’m very grateful for the work done by Dr. Richter. The ACL was not completely torn but it was badly damaged. It is a pity to miss Imola but health comes first and I’m still young and want to think about the future. The focus now goes on my rehab and to think about getting back on the bike as soon as possible to prepare for MXGP.”
With Jonass, who was 46 points back entering the weekend, out, Prado has clinched his first world title, as he leads third place Thomas Kjer Olsen by 190 points. In the 61-year history of the FIM Motocross World Championship, Prado is the first Spanish rider to claim a world title in the principal categories of the series.
Prado is the eighth different rider to claim the MX2 world title with KTM in the last 15 years.
You can read more about Prado in the latest issue of Racer X Illustrated available now.