In the fourth and final installment of our cold weather dirt bike riding apparel series we focus on jackets and jerseys. A Jacket may seem like an obvious solution for cold weather riding, but surprisingly many riders don’t own a riding-specific jacket. Many riders put on some type of a base layer, then throw on a second jersey over that and call it good. Which may get you by, but there are better (and more comfortable) options.
When the weather takes a turn for the worse, a riding jacket is a practical solution for moto or offroad riders—even more so than gloves (especially if a rider uses handguards). A riding Jacket offers features that allow one to fine tune the level of warmth and airflow; so you’re not left sweating or freezing—or even worse, sweating then freezing after you stop. Just the same, jersey choice can make a big difference in your level of comfort on the track or trail during winter months.
Let’s dive into the specifics of FLY Racing’s jacket and cold weather jersey offerings.
FLY Racing Patrol Riding Jacket
The Patrol riding jacket is best suited for long days on the trail. Its functional design can easily be converted into a variety of configurations to provide all day comfort and performance. Key features that separate the Patrol riding jacket from other cold weather jackets include an ultra-durable nylon construction outer shell with ballistic nylon reinforcement panels in key areas; meaning you can whack trees and bust through brush with confidence. Massive ventilation is another key difference, and the Patrol jacket can be customized via two large tuck away chest vents and a full back rear vent that folds away into rear cargo compartment. If temperatures begin to rise, simply remove the jacket’s sleeves and store them in the rear cargo compartment and you have a riding vest instead of a jacket. Versatility, adaptability, and function: three key ingredients that contribute to the Patrol’s success as a riding-specific jacket.
Patrol Jacket - Flo Orange.
Patrol Jacket - Black/Grey.
Patrol Jacket - Camo.
FLY Racing Patrol Jacket Specifics:
- Ultra-durable Nylon Construction – with ballistic nylon reinforcement panels in key areas
- Massive Ventilation – can be customized via the two large tuck away chest vents, and full back rear vent folds away into rear cargo compartment
- Zip-off Sleeves – easily convert the jacket to a vest
- Rear Cargo Compartment – great for storing larger items or jacket sleeves when converted to a vest
- Self-Storage – jacket can be stored inside the rear cargo compartment when turned inside out and easily carried with the attachment waist belt
- Zippered Main Entry with Velcro® Storm Flap – helps keep the elements out of your jacket
- Heavy-duty Elbow Panels – provide excellent abrasion resistance
- Internal Bungee – volume adjusters give the jacket a custom and secure fit
- Ventilated Mesh Liner – helps keep you comfortable
- Hydration Tube Loops – allow you to easily route your drink tube over the shoulder
- Adjustable, Gusseted, Hip Relief – with Velcro waist adjustment for added comfort
- Adjustable Velcro® and Neoprene Cuffs
- Neoprene Stretch Collar – fleece lined for added comfort with adjustable shock cord
- Reflective Tape – for increased visibility
- Pockets Include: 2 lower front cargo, 2 zippered hand warmer, 2 zippered upper chest, 1 rear cargo
Patrol Jacket with sleeves removed.
Patrol Jacket showing full back rear ventilation.
FLY Racing Black Ops Convertible Jacket
Closer to a mid-layer than a ballistic nylon reinforced riding jacket, the Black Ops convertible is ideal for offroad or moto. Like the Patrol, the Black Ops has many built-in features that allow the rider to fine-tune the jacket for optimal temperature control and comfort such as removable sleeves and a breathable membrane designed to keep you warm and dry. For riders that wear a neck brace, FLY built-in a handy rear zip to accommodate most of today’s neck braces. All-in-all, the Black Ops Convertible is an all-around performance riding jacket ideal for a day at the track or trail.
FLY Racing Black Ops Convertible Jacket Specifics:
- Tech Shell Construction – is lightweight and ultra-comfortable
- Windproof, Water-resistant, Breathable Membrane – helps keep you warm and dry
- Zip-off Sleeves – allow you to quickly and easily convert the jacket into a vest
- Neck Brace Compatible Rear Zip – allows you to wear the jacket with most of today’s neck braces
- Fleece Lined Interior – for added comfort
- Adjustable Velcro® Cuffs with TPR Logo Closure
- Internal Rear Storage Pocket – allows you to easily stow the zip-off sleeves
- Embroidered And Screened Reflective Logos
- Shock Cord Waist Band – helps keep your jacket in place
- Zip Side Vents
Black Ops jacket showing showing neck brace compatible rear zip.
FLY Racing Windproof Technical Jersey
For winter motocross and cross country riding and/or racing it’s tough to beat the Windproof Technical jersey. This jersey is ideal for cool weather, high intensity action sports because of its front chest and arm panels designed to provide wind protection and prevent water penetration. Breathable back and armpit panels exhaust heat from the jersey to help maintain optimal temperature control. Paired with a FLY Racing base layer you have a perfect cold weather race-day setup.
FLY Racing Windproof Technical Jersey Specifics:
- Front and arm panels provide protection from wind and water penetration
without the restriction of a jacket in the comfort of a lightweight jersey
- Breathable back and armpit panels provide heat exhaust
- Sublimated and hi def logos provide the highest quality and fade free graphic
- Ideal for cooler weather high intensity action sports