YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – In the AMA Arenacross Series’ return to Youngstown, Ohio and the Covelli Centre, the thousands of fans in attendance were witness to a bit of arenacross history when Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda’s Zach Ames, of Prospect, Ohio, captured his first-career AMA Arenacross class victory. GPF/Babbitt’s Kawasaki’s A.J. Catanzaro, of Middlefield, Conn., finally found his way to the top of the podium for the first time in the AMA Arenacross Lites class after a season of consistency.
After five rounds of dominance by the Babbitt’s Monster Energy/Ti Lube Kawasaki team of points leader Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., and Josh Demuth, of North Richland Hills, Texas, Ames became the first rider in 2010 other than one of the aforementioned Babbitt’s competitors to win. The key to Ames’ success began out of the gates when he was able to capitalize on a good start and race at the front of the field in the early stages of the 25-lap main event. While he was challenged throughout, he was able to hold off the advances of his competitors. Demuth was able to keep the Babbitt’s streak of at least one podium finisher in each race in tact with a runner-up effort while defending champion Jeff Gibson, of Thornville, Ohio garnered just his third podium finish of the season.
Throughout 2010, Catanzaro has been one of the most consistent riders in the AMA Arenacross Lites class. It was only a matter of time before the talented rider made his move to the front of the field and after a stellar start on Friday night, he was able to do so. Catanzaro’s GPF teammate Daniel Aulsaybrook, from Ortonville, Mich., gave the team a 1-2 sweep while House of Kawasaki’s Justin Berry made it a 1-2-3 sweep for the green machines in third.
Bowers brought home a sixth-place finish in the AMA Arenacross class, but holds onto the points lead with a 19-point advantage over teammate Johnson, who finished seventh. Foremost Insurance Yamaha’s Tyler Bright, of Lexington, N.C., leads the AMA Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship with just two races remaining by seven points over Wages and Factory Pech Racing Kawasaki’s Devon Pilkington, of Virginia Beach, Va., who sit tied in second.
The Youngstown Arenacross continues tomorrow night from the Covelli Centre at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Tickets for all rounds of the 2010 season can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com and www.arenacross.com.
For more information on the AMA Arenacross Series log on to www.arenacross.com.
AMA Arenacross Class Results (Youngstown, Ohio)
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki
- Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Honda
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Kawasaki
- Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Yamaha
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Kawasaki
AMA Arenacross Lites Class Results (Youngstown, Ohio)
1. A.J. Catanzaro, Middlefield, Conn., Kawasaki
2. Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Kawasaki
3. Justin Berry, Edmond, Okla., Kawasaki
4. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Yamaha
5. Jim Neese, Julian, N.C., Yamaha
6. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Kawasaki
7. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
8. Chad Wages, Frederick, Md., Suzuki
9. Davey Sterritt, Athens, N.Y., Kawasaki
10. Devon Pilkington, Virginia Beach, Va., Kawasaki
AMA Arenacross Class Points (After Race 9 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 196
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 175
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 169
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 151
- Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Honda – 136
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 130
- Brock Sellards, Sherodsville, Ohio, Honda – 119
- Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki –107
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Kawasaki – 106
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 95
AMA Arenacross Lites Class Eastern Regional Points (After Race 7 of 9)
- Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Yamaha – 117
- Devon Pilkington, Virginia Beach, Va., Kawasaki – 110
- Chad Wages, Frederick, Md., Suzuki – 110
- Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Kawasaki – 108
- Taylor Futrell, Clinton, N.C., Honda – 74
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda – 60
- Davey Sterritt, Athens, N.Y., Kawasaki – 55
- Kurt McCabe, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Honda – 43
- Ryan Zimmer, Angier, N.C., Honda – 36
- Derrick Brister, Boyd, Texas, Yamaha – 34