Company: Racer Management
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia
Industry: Event production
Job Type: Full-time Employee
Career Level: Entry Level
Benefits: A host of benefits, including health insurance and retirement plans, are available under varying terms and conditions.
MEDIA RELATIONS COORDINATOR
About the Job Racer Management is looking to fill a Media Relations Coordinator position for their industry-leading racing series and events, including the Grand National Cross Country (GNCC) Series, AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship at Loretta Lynn Ranch, AMA ATVMX National Championship, and more. This position is located in Morgantown, W. Va., which is home to West Virginia University and is regularly included on lists of the best small towns in America. Morgantown is approximately 75 miles south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Live in or be willing to move to Morgantown, W. Va., or the surrounding area. This is a requirement, so please don’t apply if you can’t work from Morgantown.
- Understand public relations thinking and possess strong, clear writing skills. The applicant will produce press releases, e-mail communication and website content, so strong writing and editing skills are essential.
- Generate publicity in old and new media. The position will require pitching news stories on our events to local media outlets, as well as communicating via Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets.
- Be willing to travel. Our events take place all over the East Coast, and travel to the races on weekends will fill in a significant portion of your time.
- Be technically proficient and curious. The candidate must have experience with Microsoft Word and basic e-mail communication, but experience with website maintenance and posting is a plus. Other skills, including basic photography, video or speaking and announcing skills are welcome. We’re looking for a well-rounded person who can serve the company in the office and at the races in as many ways as possible.
- Communicate well. The racing industry consists of a close-knit group. Creating and maintaining friendly relationships with our racers, sponsors and other stakeholders is vital.
- Be reliable. You need to be the kind of person who comes through, whether it’s as simple as showing up for work on time, or as involved as nurturing a project successfully from beginning to end.
- Be willing to do whatever needs to be done. Running events of this size and scope requires the completion of a great variety of tasks, and while some of the jobs may feel small at the time, they are nonetheless a significant part of running a professional event.
- Have a curiosity for sports or outdoors in general, or even a full-on passion for motorcycle, ATV and off-road racing in specific. A job at Racer is not a 9-5 job. Because our organization maintains nationally recognized events, our employees must be passionate enough to step up and contribute when circumstances dictate it – and this includes traveling, late nights, etc. If you want a 9-5 job do not apply; this isn’t the job for you.
- Be cool. Seriously, this is a tough job, but it’s pretty amazing at the same time. We all work extremely hard, but we’re working on something that we absolutely love and are proud to be a part of. This position is integral to our business; you will receive access and freedom to create your own plans and see them through. The position provides plenty of opportunity, but with that opportunity comes a responsibility to embrace it all. We’re not looking for complainers, people with negative attitudes, etc.
It’s a lot of work for an entry-level salary, and expectations will be higher than many entry-level positions. But it’s also a very rare opportunity for the right person to start a career in an exciting field, and carry real responsibility. For the right person, this could be the chance of a lifetime.
- College B.A. Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, or Communications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience in Adobe Suite, Constant Contact and working in the admin panel and CMS of websites is preferred
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter explaining why you’re the right person for this job
- Portfolio, writing examples, links to published work, etc.
We’ll be accepting resumes at through Friday, April 24.. We’ll hire and begin the position as soon as possible after the submission deadline.