JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Team San Manuel Yamaha’s James Stewart, of Haines City, Fla., won his 10th AMA Supercross class race at the inaugural Monster Energy® AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, race at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium before 31,653 fans. Stewart’s win narrowed current AMA Supercross class point leader Chad Reed’s points deficit to just five. Just one week after clinching the Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class championship, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel, of Corona, Calif., won his fifth main event of the season.
Rockstar/Makita Suzuki’s Mike Alessi, of Victorville, Calif., started the AMA Supercross class main event by winning the holeshot followed closely by his teammate and current points leader Chad Reed, of Tampa, Fla. Reed moved past Alessi in turn two and secured the lead and Stewart snuck into second place.
Stewart tried to set Reed up in a few different sections but the Australian held his ground. Stewart stalked Reed for 13 long laps before he made a pass on the defending champion. Reed answered back and took over the lead on the same lap. Just one lap later, Stewart re-passed Reed and rode to his 10th victory of the season. Reed finished second and GEICO Powersports Honda’s Kevin Windham, of Centerville, Miss.
“I had fun out there tonight,” said Reed. “I tried to be smooth and consistent out there. This was a great race, and we have three more left on the season. It’s time for me to get up there and go to battle.”
“It was a great race, and we actually collided over the triple jump, but that’s racing,” said Stewart. “I look forward to the next race in Seattle.”
At the final Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class race of the season, Rockstar/Makita Suzuki’s Nico Izzi, of Murrieta, Calif., won the holeshot but was quickly removed from the number-one position by Muscle Milk/MDK KTM’s Wil Hahn, of Decatur, Texas. Pourcel, of Corona, Calif., started in sixth and moved into second place on lap two.
Waiting patiently, Pourcel pressured Hahn and passed him on lap eight for the lead and rode to yet another race win. Hahn earned the best finish of his season with a second place finish followed by Monster Energy Supercross/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C.
“I had a great race tonight,” said Pourcel. “This is a great way to end my championship season. I didn’t get the start I wanted but I was able to work my way to the front of the pack.”
The AMA Supercross Lites class race will air on SPEED Sunday, April 5 at 5:00 p.m. EST and the AMA Supercross class will air on SPEED following the Lites class race at 6:00 p.m. EST.
Monster Energy® Supercross resumes racing Saturday, April, 18 at Seattle’s Qwest Field.
AMA Supercross Class Results, Jacksonville
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
- Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Suzuki
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
- Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
- Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki
- Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki
- Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
- Heath Voss, Mico, Texas, Honda
- Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Kawasaki
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
- Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Suzuki, 315
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 310
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 225
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 193
- Ivan Tedesco, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 193
- Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 193
- Mike Alessi, Apple Valley, Calif., Suzuki, 185
- Davi Millsaps, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 168
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 165
- Josh Hill, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 146
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results, Jacksonville
- Christophe Pourcel, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, KTM
- Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Kawasaki
- Darryn Durham, Wildomar, Texas, Yamaha
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha
- Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Kawasaki
- Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Yamaha
- Matthew Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Suzuki
- Steven Clarke, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Christophe Pourcel, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki, 181
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Kawasaki, 148
3. Nico Izzi, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 119
4. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 118
5. Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Kawasaki, 105
6. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, KTM, 105
7. Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, 95
8. Matthew Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Suzuki, 94
9. Daniel Blair, Modesto, Calif., Honda, 85
10. Steven Clarke, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki, 82
For more information on the Monster Energy® AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com. For all media requests, please contact Denny Hartwig firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-566-6305.
About Feld Motor Sports
Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Monster Jam®, Monster Energy® Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Freestyle Motocross, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.