AURORA, Ill. – As the 2009 AMA Arenacross Series reached the halfway point last weekend in Tulsa, Okla., the championship chase tightened up, setting the stage for an epic debut from the Save Mart Center on the campus of Fresno State University in Fresno, Calif.
While Mahindra Tractors/Tuf Honda’s Jeff Gibson sits atop the standings, Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda’s Nathan Skaggs is hot on his heels after a big win Saturday night in Tulsa. As the series enters round seven of the 11-round season, just 24 points separate the top two riders.
With the win, Skaggs holds three wins to his credit this season opposed to Gibson’s four. The Chillicothe, Ohio rider won convincingly while Gibson found trouble on the first lap and could only muster an 11th place finish. Tickets for Saturday night’s action start at just $18.
“This feels great,” explained Skaggs. “It’s been a few races since I was on top (of the podium) so it’s nice to get another win under my belt. I just need to keep taking things race by race. I’d like to thank my team Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda and all the great Arenacross fans.”
In the AMA Arenacross Lites class, a Central Regional champion was crowned. Iowa native Kurt McCabe relied on consistency throughout the three rounds of the championship chase and finished fifth in Tulsa to outlast his closest competitor Justin Berry by just one point. This weekend, the Western Regional championship kicks-off with three consecutive weeks of action.
With the inaugural race from the Save Mart Center, the AMA Arenacross Series will showcase its edge of your seat action to a whole new audience. A college atmosphere will surround the race and create one of the most exciting nights of action this season.
AMA Arenacross Class Results, (Tulsa, Okla.)
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Brock Sellards, Sherodsville, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
- Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki
- Keith Johnson, Albuquerque, N.M., Yamaha
- Justin Berry, Edmond, Okla., Kawasaki
- Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Results (Tulsa, Okla.)
1. Michael McDade, Raleigh, N.C., Suzuki
2. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
3. Jim Neese, Julian, N.C., Suzuki
4. Justin Berry, Edmond, Okla., Kawasaki
5. Kurtis McCabe, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Honda
6. Travis Bannister, Calhoun, Col., Honda
7. Ronnie Stewart, Easton, Pa., Suzuki
8. Dacoda Sorochuk, Randolph, Utah, Kawasaki
9. Kyle Glass, Hudsonville, Mich., Honda
10. Chad Wages, Frederick, Md., Suzuki
AMA Arenacross Class Points (After Race 9 of 17)
- Jeff Gibson, Westerville, Ohio, Honda – 186
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 162
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 149
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda - 134
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki - 132
- Brock Sellards, Sherodsville, Ohio, Kawasaki – 131
- Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki – 112
- Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha – 101
- Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki – 98
- Keith Johnson, Albuquerque, N.M, Yamaha – 89
AMA Arenacross Lites Central Regional Points (After Race 5 of 5)
- Kurtis McCabe, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Honda – 67
- Justin Berry, Edmond, Okla., Kawasaki – 66
- Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha – 53
- Tyler Medaglia, Kemptville, Ontario, Kawasaki – 36
- Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda – 35
- Travis Bannister, Calhoun, Col., Honda – 35
- Bruce Dehn, Dayton, Minn., Kawasaki – 33
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 22
- John Dehn, Dayton, Minn., Kawasaki – 22
- Gavin Faith, Duncombe, Iowa, Honda – 20
Gold Circle level seats are just $25, while Mid Level seats are only $18. All seats are $2 more on the day of the show.
About Feld Motor Sports
Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Monster Jam®, Monster Energy® Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Freestyle Motocross, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.