SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (May 14, 2007) – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki rider Brett Metcalfe took the win at his first race back in the Lites Pro class at the Glen Helen Prequel this weekend in San Bernardino, Calif.
In the first lites moto, after about a seventh-place start, Metcalfe turned up the heat. By lap five, he was in the lead and began to put down some of the fastest lap times of the day.
“After I took the lead, I was able to put my head down and put in consistent lap times,” said Metcalfe. “From there I was able to stretch out my lead and maintain it.”
In the second lites moto, Metcalfe got a third-place start and worked his way to second very quickly. Once in the second position, he followed closely behind rookie Trey Canard looking for a place to make a pass.
“He (Canard) had a good pace going and it was kind of tough to find a good place to make a pass,” said Metcalfe. “But about half way, I was on his back wheel and I was able to make the pass. Once I got out front I did not slack off, I charged as hard as I could and I think I won with about a 20-second lead.”
Metcalfe won both motos and showed the speed that should make him be a top contender for the title this summer.
“It feels so good to be back on a bike,” said Metcalfe. “And I feel like I am fully prepared for next weekend. My speed is great. My fitness is excellent and my bike is one of the best out there. There is no reason that I can’t win in Hangtown.”
Metcalfe will join the rest of the Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki team for the opening round of the 2007 AMA Motocross Championship series in Sacramento, Calif.
Glen Helen – San Bernardino, Calif.
1. BRETT METCALFE, MURRIETA, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI
2. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda
3. Kyle Cunningham, Grand Terrace, Calif.
4. Trey Canard, Elk City, Okla., Honda
5. Sean Hackley, Ovilla, Texas, Yamaha
6. Dusty Klatt, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha
7. Bobby Garrison, Hesperia, Calif., Yamaha
8. Jimmy Albertson, Mt. Vernon, Mo., Suzuki
9. Joaquim Rodriguez, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
10. Ricky Renner, Mulberry, Fla., Honda