Function -The BNS functions by providing an alternative load
path for the energy that compresses the neck. If the helmet is in contact with the Bionic Neck Support at the moment of impact the overall load passing through the neck can be reduced, which may
prevent a fracture from occurring. The BNS also helps reduce the chance of muscular injuries associated with extremes of head
movement. While it is not possible to eliminate the risk of any
form of injury, the BNS is designed to help prevent the most serious damage and minimize the risk of collateral injury as the impact load is channeled away from the neck.
When compared to soft ‘neck roll’ devices the protection afforded is significantly better because being soft, these devices simply deform, offering no protection against the damaging compressive forces.
As with any riding equipment, fit is critical to ensuring the most effective protection possible and riders should choose the equipment that is best suited to their body. No neck device should roll around over the shoulders.
• Pivot Key system: A special magnesium key located at the rear allows the convenient front opening of the device while also
allowing it to be dismantled in an emergency.
• Fitting System: Fine adjustment of the shoulder height allows a more personalised fit – particularly for individuals who have a
shorter than normal neck.
• Rear Stabiliser Failure system: In the event of large loads being channeled onto the rear stabiliser (the part that sits on the back) there are a number of deliberate bending and fracture points designed to relieve extreme loads that may be transmitted down the back.
oDeflection of foam tail
oGrooves to allow deflection of support structure tip
oFracture area of support structure tip
oFracture of supporting members (also fracture if subject to side
loads that could cause a large rotation to the head).
• Collar Bone preservation 1: All parts in contact with the body use an expanded foam compound to distribute the impact force over the widest area yet remain light in weight.
• Collar Bone preservation 2: A continuous frame member runs over the shoulders – this means there are no weak points in a critical part of the frame and that there are no metal pins or screws sitting directly above the shoulders which could be dislodged into the shoulders or collarbone during an accident.
• Choice of Strap Systems. The BNS is supplied with the X-Strap System which allows a small, light strap (worn over or under the jersey) to secure the device to the rider. The larger A-Strap assembly (available as a separate accessory) provides a traditional chest strap for those who like to wear the protector tight to the body.
• Carbon Composite frame to maximize frame stiffness and
• Mounting points for accessories: Assist the integration of the BNS with your own Alpinestars accessories.
Sizes: S, M & L
Suggested Retail Price: $679.95
Availability: Deliveries of the Bionic Neck Support to Alpinestars
Dealers are expected to commence in mid August 2008
For further information, please contact:
Emily Orr or Tim Collins – Media Services
Alpinestars USA Inc.
2780 west 237th street
Torrance, CA 90505