Film: Red Bull
Wes Williams and the folks at Red Bull put together this video of Cody Webb and Taylor Robert turning the slopes at Donner Ski Ranch into the ultimate moto playground. The scenery, cinematography, and technical riding by Webb and Robert make for a truly epic moto video. Take a look!
From Red Bull:
Cody Webb and Taylor Robert can do absurd, incredible things on motorcycles. Their abilities to control every piece of the motorcycle is akin to the mastery of Mozart or Beethoven — from the suspension to the throttle to the clutch to everything in between, Webb and Robert ride in a symphony of bike skill that is almost entirely lost to the average viewer, because they make it look so easy.
To properly display that ability, Webb and Robert took to the bare slopes of Donner Ski Ranch at Donner Pass in California, just a quick jaunt from the iconic Lake Tahoe. Nestled in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Donner provided the canvas for the hard enduro artistry that was to take place. "It's every dirtbiker's dream to go out and explore new territories," says Webb. "Many of these areas we wish to ride are completely off limits to any sort of motorized fun. When Red Bull approached us about filming a freeride-type segment, Taylor and I were all in!"
The issue with conquering huge mountain features on a motorcycle is the fact that a bail is not really an option. Where mountain bikers and snowboarders still, to some degree, have that fail-safe bail option, moto riders do not enjoy the same luxury. A fall is usually on the wrong side of catastrophic. That’s what makes hard enduro heavy-hitters like Webb and Roberts so incredible — anything but perfection can mean disaster, so they are usually perfect.
"Taylor and I were willing to do whatever it took in order to make the video epic," Webb explains. "Not long into the first day of shooting, Taylor took a gnarly spill and we later found out that he broke his middle finger. He rode like an animal the next two and a half days, holding the pain at bay just to make a next-level edit for everyone to enjoy."
The world has never seen hard enduro in this light, as a project that could just as easily live in the freeride motocross genre. But when the riders on display are of that 1 percent that can do the things that the other 99 percent literally dream about, the results are nothing short of epic.