The first stage of the 2016 Dakar Rally, which was set to begin today taking competitors from Rosario to Villa Carlos Paz, has been cancelled due to heavy rain.
Competitors will now travel by convoy to Villas Carlos Paz untimed. Following Saturday’s prologue, Joan Barreda and Ruben Faria continue to lead the bike standings.
Trucks did not take part in the prologue due to a crash that left a reported 10 injured.
⚠️ STAGE 1 CANCELLED FOR SECURITY REASONS / ETAPA 1 CANCELADA POR RAZONES DE SEGURIDAD ⚠️— DAKAR RALLY (@dakar) January 3, 2016
Dakar Stage 1 canceled after poor weather prevents safety helicopters from flying.— KTM Factory Racing (@KTM_Racing) January 3, 2016
The 2016 Dakar Rally will run from Argentina to Bolivia from January 3-16.
1. Joan Barreda (ESP), Honda, 6 minutes 27 seconds
2. Ruben Faria (POR), Husqvarna, (equal fastest time)
3. Helder Rodrigues (POR), Yamaha at 00.03 seconds
4. Adrien van Beveren (FRA), Yamaha 00.04
5. Michael Metge (FRA), Honda 00.08