July 3, 2007 - Olympic and Six-time X Games Gold Medalist Shaun White Among Those Invited to Compete in the World’s Premier Action Sports Event along with Carey Hart, Dave Mirra, Jeremy “Twitch” Stenberg, Tanner Foust, Sofia Mulanovich and Rob Machado
ESPN’s X Games, the world’s premier action sport event, announces the second wave of athletes who have been invited to compete at X Games 13, to be held in Los Angeles Aug. 2-5, 2007. The 13th annual action sports competition will feature more than 150 of the world’s best athletes competing in: BMX Freestyle, Moto X, Skateboard, Surfing and Rally Car Racing.
For the complete, updated list of X Games 13 athletes, log on to www.expn.com The third wave of invitations is scheduled to be announced in late July. *PLEASE NOTE: The invited athlete list is constantly being updated and is subject to change.
Among the second wave of invited athletes include:
• Shaun White: 2006 Olympic gold and eleven-time summer and winter X Games medalist
• Carey Hart: X Games medalist and first freestyle rider to attempt the backflip in a competition
• Dave Mirra: Twenty-time X Games medalist and most decorated athlete in X Games history
• Jeremy Stenberg: Two-time X Games Moto X Best Trick gold medalist
• Sofia Mulanovich: 2004 WCT World Champion and 2005 ESPY Award winner for “Best Female Action Sports Athlete”
• Rob Machado: Defending X Games gold medalist and Surfing Hall of Fame inductee
• Tanner Foust: 2005 Rally America Series PGT Champion and an X Games 12 “Super Special” third place finish
All athletes receiving invitations to compete at X Games 13 are chosen by a sport-specific selection committee. Criteria and timing of invitations varies by sport and discipline as it is based on the state and event schedules of that particular sport. The only exception is each gold medalist from X Games 12 (2006) receives an automatic invitation to compete.
The X Games Los Angeles-based venues will include STAPLES Center and The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. All competitions at STAPLES Center and The Home Depot Center are ticketed events, which can be purchased at Ticketmaster.com. The surfing competition in Puerto Escondido, Mexico will be held July 3-6 and is free to the public.
ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC will provide 14 hours of live programming August 2-5 as well as X Games 13 coverage on ESPN International, EXPN.com, ESPN Classic, ESPN360.com, SportsCenter and ESPN2’s X Center.
ABOUT ESPN’s X GAMES FRANCHISE
ESPN, The Worldwide Leader in Action Sports, first developed its X Games franchise in 1995. Part of ESPN Original Entertainment, X Games, Winter X Games and All Access are just some of the original action sports programming currently shown on ESPN and ESPN2. In addition to the two U.S.-based events, ESPN has held X Games competitions and demonstration events around the world including Dubai, Thailand, Brazil, Mexico, Korea, Malaysia, China and Spain. The global franchise has also expanded its reach to EXPN.com, the definitive site for action sports fans, and to consumer products such as X Games bikes, protective gear, skateboards and DVDs.