Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki's Austin Stroupe
grabbed the Anaheim III Lites main-event holeshot with Boost Mobile/Yamaha of Troy's Jason Lawrence
right on his tail.
Phoenix winner Jake Weimer
of the Torco Racing Fuels Honda team went down in the sand off the start and was hit by other riders and dropped out of the race right away.
Lawrence took the lead quickly on the first lap and immediately began to set the pace out front, although Stroupe kept him honest throughout most of the race.
Rockstar/Makita Suzuki's Ryan Dungey
saw his points lead shrink after he suffered a poor start, and while working through the pack, had Wil Hahn
get sideways in front of him over a jump, causing Dungey to land on him and go down. Dungey still recovered for 11th, but his points lead shrunk to only eight points with three rounds left to run.
Stroupe's veteran PC teammate Brett Metcalfe
grabbed his second podium in a row (and third of the series) after starting outside the top five and finishing third.
MDK KTM's Billy Laninovich
started near the front and managed to stay there, finishing fourth - his best finish of the year so far.
Butler Bros./DNA Energy's Kyle Cunningham
ran as high as third for much of the main event but eventually had to settle for fifth - also his best finish so far this season.
Lawrence took his second win in a row and moved into second in the points standings, eight points behind Ryan Dungey
, despite failing to score points at Anaheim II.
The top three: Lawrence (center), Stroupe (left) and Metcalfe (right).
San Manuel Yamaha's Chad Reed
(22) grabbed a narrow holeshot to start the 450cc main over Honda's Davi Millsaps
(118), Monster Energy Kawasaki's Timmy Ferry
(15) and Torco Racing Fuels Honda's Kevin Windham
Reed tried to check out early, but Windham was unwilling to let him go. Eventually, a front flat on Windham's CRF450R began to cost him time, and Reed got away.
Millsaps eventually passed Windham for second, and stayed there until the finish - his best finish of the season in the 450cc class.
Ferry hung on for third and was challenging Millsaps near the end of the race for the runner-up spot.
Windham successfully nursed his flat front tire to an admirable fourth place under the conditions.
Honda Red Bull's Andrew Short
tried all he could to find a way around Windham at the end of the race, but bobbled while trying to pass on the last lap, finishing fifth.
Reed's third win in a row, and fourth of the season, now puts him 26 points in front of Windham, who sits second in points. After five rounds, Reed has more than one race's worth of points on the entire field. It was also the second time ever that anyone has swept all three Anaheim supercrosses. The last and only other time was last year, when James Stewart
The top three: Chad Reed
(center), Davi Millsaps
(left) and Timmy Ferry
AMA Supercross Class Results, Anaheim 3
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha
2. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda
3. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki
4. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
6. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki
7. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha
8. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM
9. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Honda
10. Manuel Gomez, Spain, Kawasaki
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha, 122
2. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 96
3. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 77
4. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 69
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 67
6. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 65
7. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha, 57
8. Ivan Tedesco, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 53
9. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM, 53
10. Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 49
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results, Anaheim 3
1. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
2. Austin Stroupe, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki
3. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
4. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
5. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda
6. Thomas Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Kawasaki
7. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
8. Dan Reardon, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
9. Robert Kiniry, LaFayette, N.Y., Honda
10. Gavin Gracyk, Blissfield, Ohio, Honda
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 96
2. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 88
3. Dan Reardon, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 80
4. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 78
5. Austin Stroupe, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki, 74
6. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Kawasaki, 70
7. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 69
8. Broc Hepler, Kittanning, Pa., Yamaha, 59
9. Gavin Gracyk, Blissfield, Ohio, Honda, 53
10. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda, 47