GEICO Honda Reaches Deal with Jimmy Decotis

November 5, 2015 9:05pm | by:
GEICO Honda Reaches Deal with Jimmy Decotis

GEICO Honda has agreed to a deal with Jimmy Decotis for the 2016 Monster Energy Supercross season, the team has announced. This will be the second stint with GEICO Honda for the 24-year-old, who filled-in for the injured Wil Hahn in 2011. Decotis sustained a broken elbow in Seattle shortly after joining the team, but returned for Lucas Oil Pro Motocross.

Decotis, who is currently leading the Australian Supercross Series, has been on a privateer effort since his fill-in role with the team in 2011.

The team has yet to announce which coast Decotis will ride.

"I'm absolutely stoked," Decotis said in a statement. "I feel like it's come at a perfect time in my career. I had a really good season last year in supercross, and although I didn't get any podiums, I always had the speed for it. I feel like with another year of building, it's all falling into place for me."

"We have history with Jimmy, so it makes for a nice reunion," team manager Mike LaRocco said. "We know him and we know his capabilities, which we're seeing even more of now in Australia. We're looking for somebody who fits with the team and can get us some results."

Decotis will join the already signed Malcolm Stewart, Christian Craig, RJ Hampshire, Jordon Smith and Justin Bogle (450 Class) on the team.

"It's definitely going to be a shock to a lot of people in the industry," Decotis said. "I've heard people say the older you get, the harder it is to land on a really good team like GEICO Honda. I just think that as long as you're working hard and putting in the results and a team feels like you're making the steps to improve your career, you can land on one of these teams.

"I'm happy I made the changes I needed to put myself on this caliber of team and hopefully get the results and be exactly the kind of rider they think I should be."