RedBud 450 Moto 1 ReportSaturday, July 7, 2012 | 3:20 PM
With the headlines belonging to James Stewart and his return to racing, points leader Ryan Dungey continued to put his head down and brush away the hype, putting in another dominating performance en route to an over forty second victory in moto one at RedBud.
Stewart would fall in behind Dungey early, but was clearly a step behind the 2010 National Champion. The wheels would then fall off for Stewart as he tipped over, losing a couple of spots in the process. Never able to recover, Stewart would finish a disappointing sixth in the first moto.
With Dungey running away with the lead Jake Weimer, Justin Brayton, a returning Tyla Rattray and Broc Tickle were jockeying for positioning inside the top five. The Kawasaki duo of Rattray and Tickle tried pushing their way into the top three but Brayton and Weimer were able to hold strong and take home second and third, respectfully, behind Dungey.
Rattray, in his first race back since Hangtown, would finish fourth. Tickle would take home fifth.
- At the ripe age of 41, Mike Brown was running inside the top ten for a majority of the moto before running out of gas late in the race.
- For the second straight race Star-Valli Yamaha’s Nico Izzi would suffer a big get-off. Izzi, who was running inside the top ten at the time of the crash, would not return. We will continue to update you on his status as soon as we hear more.
- Privateer Cole Thompson put together a spectacular race, finishing a career-high seventh.
- Bobby Kiniry is back from Canada, while the series takes a break, and finished just behind Canadian Cole Thompson in eighth.
- Mike Alessi was involved in a first turn crash but was able to charge back to finish just outside the top ten in eleventh.
450 Moto 1 Overall
Share this article:
Did you like this article?
Check out MONSTERBALLin our Latest issue of Racer X available now.
Playing soccer on 250cc motorcycles might sound like a strange form of riding, but in Russia they do it with great passion—and for very little reward. Page 112.