AURORA, Ill. – In font of a sold-out crowd, the first one-night race of the season saw Westerville, Ohio’s Jeff Gibson race to his second AMA Arenacross Series victory of the season in front of his hometown crowd at Dayton, Ohio’s Ervin J. Nutter Center. So far in 2009, Gibson has yet to finish off of the podium aboard his Mahindra Tractors/Tuf Honda and after another great ride, extended his early-season points lead. North Richland Hills, Texas’ Josh Demuth made it an evening sweep for the Mahindra Tractors/Tuf Honda team with a victory in the AMA Arenacross Lites class.
Foremost Insurance Suzuki’s Michael McDade, of Raleigh, N.C., gave Jim Neese’s team the holeshot out of the gates, leading the early stages of the race. After pressuring the young rider, Gibson made his move and never looked back.
“I got in the lead and I was riding good,” said Gibson “I want to thank my family and friends. With these one night races, you can lose a lot or make a lot and I made a lot. I’m trying to take it one race at a time.”
McDade held on to grab a career-best runner-up finish while Triple Effect Kawasaki’s Brock Sellards, of Sherodsville, Ohio, rounded out the podium in third.
In a high-attrition AMA Arenacross Lites race, Demuth held off the charges of Rushville, Ohio’s Willy Browning, who was looking for a big win aboard his Spinechillers/Suzuki City Suzuki in front of his hometown crowd. Orient Express Suzuki’s Dave Ginolfi, of Lake Hopatlong, N.J., finished in third.
Spinechillers Racing’s Dallas Avery was the recipient of the MMI Top-Tech Award, helping Chillicothe, Ohio’s Nathan Skaggs reach the main event in every race this season without incident.
Gibson holds a 17-point lead over Skaggs in the AMA Arenacross class standings while Browning leads the AMA Arenacross Lites Midwestern Division standings by three points over Ginolfi.
The AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend from Broadbent Arena in Louisville, Ky. January 23-25.
AMA Arenacross Class Results, (Dayton, Ohio)
- Jeff Gibson, Westerville, Ohio, Honda
- Michael McDade, Raleigh, N.C., Suzuki
- Brock Sellards, Sherodsvile, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
- Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki
- Jim Neese, Julian, N.C., Suzuki
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Results (Dayton, Ohio)
1. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda
2. Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki
3. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
4. Michael McDade, Raleigh, N.C., Suzuki
5. Travis Bannister, Calhoun, Col., Honda
6. Chad Wages, Frederick, Md., Suzuki
7. Josh Thomas, Climax, N.C., Suzuki
8. Devon Pilkington, Virginia Beach, Va., Yamaha
9. Ronnie Stewart, Easton, Pa., Suzuki
10. Greg Duffy, Churchton, Md., Kawasaki
AMA Arenacross Class Points (After Race 5 of 17)
- Jeff Gibson, Westerville, Ohio, Honda – 112
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 95
- Brock Sellards, Sherodsville, Ohio, Kawasaki – 74
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 72
- Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki – 67
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda - 56
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki - 56
- Keith Johnson, Albuquerque, N.M, Yamaha – 54
- Jim Neese, Julian, N.C., Suzuki – 48
- Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki – 48
- Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha – 48
AMA Arenacross Lites Midwestern Division Points (After Race 3 of 7)
1. Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki – 67
2. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J. – 64
3. Joshua Lichtle, Rochester Hills, Mich., Honda – 34
4. Cody Gilmore, Spencer, Iowa, Honda – 31
5. Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Kawasaki – 26
6. Roy Horton, Frankfort, Ill., Honda – 26
7. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Kawasaki – 24
8. Cody Robbins, Huntersville, N.C., Kawasaki – 23
9. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Honda – 18
10. Matt Maier, Green Bay, Wis., KTM – 17
About Feld Motor Sports
Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Monster Jam®, Monster Energy® Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Freestyle Motocross, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.