NEW BERLIN, N.Y. (July 15, 2007) – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki rider Ben Townley earned the victory in the AMA Motocross Lites class at the sixth round of the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship, while Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Timmy Ferry earned the runner-up position in the AMA Motocross division.
At the Unadilla Valley Sports Center, Townley and teammate Ryan Villopoto swapped moto wins on their Kawasaki KX™250F bikes, making it another all-Kawasaki weekend.
Townley captured the win in the first moto while teammate Villopoto was forced to head back to the pits after a rock punctured his radiator. Villopoto’s misfortune would temporarily hand over the points lead to Townley, as their friendly rivalry would continue into the second moto. Villopoto returned in moto two with an inspired ride that saw him lead the race from start to finish.
Meanwhile, Townley, who had tipped over on the opening lap was making a run of his own, although from the middle of the pack. He charged up to third place, which gave him a 1-3 moto finish and handed him his third overall victory of the season. Villopoto’s 37-1 finish placed him seventh overall.
“The second moto was alright,” said Townley. “I just had to make up what I could and limit the damage. It definitely wasn’t what I wanted. Every week I just try to get as many points as I can because I am racing Ryan (Villopoto) and he is always going to be there. The championship is going to go down to the wire.”
At the halfway point in the season, Townley and Villopoto are tied atop the AMA Motocross Lites standings with 263 points apiece.
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki teammate Chris Gosselaar went 8-23 for 15th place overall.
In the AMA Motocross class, Ferry turned in one his finest performances of the season. A late-race crash in moto one bumped him off the podium, but Ferry came roaring back in moto two with his first moto win of the season. A 5-1 finish in the motos was good for second overall, his best overall finish of the series.
“Everyone has pointed out that they think that I am old at 32, but I have been telling everyone all along that I feel faster than I ever have,” said Ferry. “Age isn’t an issue and it feels great to win a moto this late in my career.”
Teammate James Stewart endured a hard crash in the first practice and as a precaution headed to the hospital for further evaluation. Everything checked out okay and though he is very sore he is looking forward to returning at Thunder Valley.
MotoSport Kawasaki's Bobby Kiniry put in a solid eighth-place overall finish in the AMA Motocross Lites class. Teammate Steve Boniface and Kyle Chisholm finished just behind in the 11th and 12th positions.
The Monster Energy Kawasaki teams head to Lakewood, Colo., on July 21-22 for the seventh round of the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship Series.
For the most recent Kawasaki racing action, interviews and more visit www.kawasaki/racing.com
AMA Motocross Championship Series
Unadilla Valley Sports Center – New Berlin, N.Y.
July 15, 2007
AMA Motocross (Moto Finishes)
1. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 1-3
2. TIMMY FERRY, LARGO, FLA., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 5-1
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 6-2
4. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 2-6
5. Ivan Tedesco, Montgomery, Texas, Suzuki, 4-5
6. David Millsaps, Cario, Ga., Honda, 7-4
7. Grant Langston, Clermont, Fla., Yamaha, 3-10
8. David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 10-7
9. Gavin Gracyk, Blissfield, Ohio, Honda, 9-8
10. Joshua Summey, Stanley, N.C., Honda, 11-9
AMA Motocross Class Point Standings
1. Ricky Carmichael, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 241
2. JAMES STEWART, HAINES CITY, FLA., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 225
3. TIMMY FERRY, LARGO, FLA., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 204
4. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 197
5. Grant Langston, Clermont, Fla., Yamaha, 190
6. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 184
7. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 177
8. David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 135
9. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 134
10. Michael Byrne, Newnan, Ga., Suzuki, 113
AMA Motocross Lites (Moto Finishes)
1. BEN TOWNLEY, TALLAHASSEE, FLA., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 1-3
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 2-2
3. Jason Lawrence, Murrieta, Ga., Yamaha, 4-4
4. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 6-5
5. Andrew Mcfarlane, Newport Beach, Calif., Suzuki, 9-7
6. Broc Hepler, Kittanning, Pa., Yamaha, 3-15
7. RYAN VILLOPOTO, POULSBO, WASH., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 37-1
8. BOBBY KINIRY, LA FAYETTE, N.Y., MOTOSPORT KAWASAKI, 11-9
9. Matthew Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Yamaha, 11-9
10. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda, 7-14
AMA Motocross Lites Point Standings
1. RYAN VILLOPOTO, POULSBO, WASH., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 263
2. BEN TOWNLEY, TALLAHASSEE, FLA., MONSTER ENERGY/PRO CIRCUIT/KAWASAKI, 263
3. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 215
4. Jason Lawrence, Murrieta, Ga., Yamaha, 212
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 194
6. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda, 131
7. Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 121
8. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 104
9. Andrew Mcfarlane, Newport Beach, Calif., 103
10. Broc Tickle, Cary, N.C., Yamaha, 96