Ben Townley Crowned SX Lites East Coast ChampMonday, April 23, 2007 | 9:20 AM
In this article…
- Ryan Morais
- Justin Brayton
- Ryan Villopoto
- Billy Laninovich
- Ryan Dungey
- Matt Boni
- Mike Alessi
- Matt Goerke
This past Saturday hosted one of the most dramatic championship showdowns the SX Lites series has ever seen. Going into the evening with a 3 point deficit, due to a DNF back in Atlanta, monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki rider Ben Townley knew he would have to ride one of the greatest SX races of his life.
The stadium was on its feet as the gate dropped for the SX lites final and Detroit saw Ryan Dungey take an early lead followed closely by Ryan Morais. Townley held strong in the 4th place spot and waited to make his move. Fortunately for Ben, he didn’t have to wait long. Coming around for the second lap, Townley got a huge break when Ryan Morais stalled his machine. Ben took full advantage of that stroke of luck, and knew he had to just ride consistent laps and the title would be his. The New Zealand Supercross sensation did just that. He kept his cool, made no mistakes and crossed the finish line as the 2007 SX Lites East Coast Series Champion.
“This is a dream come true” said Townley. Everyone knows how hard Ben has worked for this and everyone at THOR MX would like to congratulate him on a job well done. What a fitting end to one of the most exciting SX seasons this series has seen in a long time.
Ben will now head to Vegas for the East vs. West Coast shootout and then to Hangtown for the first round of the AMA MX Championship. I am sure you will be hearing about Ben again in the very near future.
With Ryan Villopoto and Ben Townley taking both of the 2007 SX Lites Championship titles, you are sure to see Thor at the front of the pack in Vegas.
Amp’d Mobile Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Event Results, Detroit
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
2. Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki
3. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
4. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
5. Ryan Morais, Temecula, Calif., Yamaha
6. Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Yamaha
7. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Suzuki
8. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM
9. Matt Boni, Geneva, Fla., Kawasaki
10. Darcy Lange, Hemet, Calif., Kawasaki
Amp’d Mobile Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Season Standings
1. Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 133
2. Ryan Morais, Temecula, Calif., Yamaha, 130
3. Darcy Lange, Hemet, Calif., Kawasaki, 117
4. Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Yamaha, 103
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plain, Minn., Suzuki, 98
6. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 85
7. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda 84
8. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 84
9. Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Yamaha, 83
10. Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha, 68
For more information on why Thor MX is the gear of choice for 2007 AMA SX Lites East Champion, Ben Townley, check out www.thormx.com
Share this article:
Did you like this article?
Check out THE MOTOCROSS OF 40 NATIONSin our Latest issue of Racer X available now.
The 2013 FIM Motocross of Nations at Teutschenthal, Germany, hosted teams from a record forty countries. Here’s how it played out for each of them. Page 90.