YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – After a memorable first night of action in the AMA Arenacross Series’ return to Youngtown, Ohio’s Covelli Centre, the world’s best arenacross riders produced one of the most exciting evenings of action in the history of the sport. In the end, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/Ti Lube Kawasaki’s Josh Demuth, of North Richland Hills, Texas, raced to his second AMA Arenacross class win of the season while Foremost Insurance Yamaha’s Tyler Bright, of Lexington, N.C., captured the AMA Arenacross Lites victory.
The 25-lap AMA Arenacross main event was a showcase of competitiveness for the thousands of Ohio fans. Three riders spent time at the front of the field with Babbitt’s Monster Energy/Ti Lube Kawasaki’s Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., grabbing the holeshot and asserting himself at the front of the field in the early stages. Soon after, reigning champion Jeff Gibson, of Thornville, Ohio, made his move to the front in a bid for his first win of the season for Tuf Honda. As the pair battled, Demuth slowly worked his way into the mix along with Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda teammates Nathan Skaggs, of Chillicothe, Ohio, and Zach Ames, of Prospect, Ohio. When all was said and done, Demuth found a way by Gibson and they would cross the line in that order. Ames triumphed in the multi-rider battle for third.
As the gates dropped on the penultimate round of the AMA Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship, there was not a single rider on the track who could challenge Bright throughout the 16-lap main event. Jumping out to an early lead, the current class points leader never looked back and made himself the rider to beat in the season finale. Reynard Mods Kawasaki’s Cory Green, of Nowata, Okla., finished second with Petroleum Site Works Suzuki’s Chad Wages, of Frederick, Md., in third.
AMA Arenacross class points leader Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., finished eighth on Saturday night and holds a 15-point advantage over teammate Demuth. Bright leads the AMA Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship with one race remaining by 12 points over Wages.
The AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend from San Antonio, Texas and the Alamodome, Saturday, February 20 at 7:30 p.m. CT.
Tickets for all rounds of the 2010 season can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com and www.arenacross.com.
For more information on the AMA Arenacross Series log on to www.arenacross.com.
AMA Arenacross Class Results (Youngstown, Ohio)
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki
- Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Honda
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Kawasaki
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
- Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Yamaha
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Kawasaki
AMA Arenacross Lites Class Results (Youngstown, Ohio)
1. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Yamaha
2. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Kawasaki
3. Chad Wages, Frederick, Md., Suzuki
4. Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Kawasaki
5. A.J. Catanzaro, Middlefield, Conn., Kawasaki
6. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha
7. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
8. Justin Berry, Edmond, Okla., Kawasaki
9. Devon Pilkington, Virginia Beach, Va., Kawasaki
10. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda
AMA Arenacross Class Points (After Race 10 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 209
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 194
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 193
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 161
- Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Honda – 158
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 150
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Kawasaki – 122
- Brock Sellards, Sherodsville, Ohio, Honda – 119
- Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki –113
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 110
AMA Arenacross Lites Class Eastern Regional Points (After Race 8 of 9)
- Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Yamaha – 142
- Chad Wages, Frederick, Md., Suzuki – 130
- Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Kawasaki – 126
- Devon Pilkington, Virginia Beach, Va., Kawasaki – 122
- Taylor Futrell, Clinton, N.C., Honda – 74
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda – 71
- Davey Sterritt, Athens, N.Y., Kawasaki – 64
- Kurt McCabe, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Honda – 43
- Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 38
- Ryan Zimmer, Angier, N.C., Honda – 36