The final round of Milwaukee presents the Terex Australian Supercross Championship concluded in spectacular fashion at Toowoomba Showgrounds over the weekend.
With the title fight in the Pro Open and Pro Lites going down to the wire, Australia’s elite staged a spectacular upset over their American rivals.
Team Motul Pirelli Suzuki rider Matt Moss, who was five points behind US rider Josh Hill coming into the round, dominated the 20-lap final, leading from start to finish to clinch both the race win and title ahead of his twin brother, Campbell Mining Suzuki’s Jake Moss. Monster Energy Kawasaki rider Jay Marmont rounded out the Round 6 podium.
The race was not without controversy with Hart & Huntington/Insure My Ride/DPH Motorsports mounted Hill, and Jake Moss coming together on the second lap of the race, in an incident that is still under review with Motorcyling Australia officials.
For Matt Moss it was the perfect end to an incredible 2013 season in which he secured both the national motocross and supercross championships.
“It feels really good,” said Matt Moss. “To be honest it was a little bit unexpected but I knew I wanted to get the job done.
“I knew I could win it was whether Jake could beat Josh, it was in someone else’s hands. Once I saw that Jake and Josh had come together it was smooth sailing. Having my brother behind me, I knew he wasn’t going to do anything to jeopardise it for me.
“I have some plans for 2014, I definitely want to defend both titles but before that I want to go and race the first five rounds of the AMA Supercross in America. I feel I am fit and ready so why not give it a shot now," Moss continued.
Finishing second in the Toowoomba final saw Jake Moss end the season runner-in the Pro Open championship.
“It is awesome for Matt and I to be one and two in the championship and it is an incredible feat for a privateer to finish runner-up.
“Josh (Hill) and I had words after practice, he thought I got in his way and it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. He didn’t want me to have the pass and we collected each other but he got the worst of it".
A bruised and battered Josh Hill retired from the 20-lap final and despite not scoring any points from the round still finished the season third in the championship.
It was a case of déjà vu in the Pro Lites final, with Serco Yamaha’s Luke Styke taking the title ahead of Carlton Dry Honda Racing’s US import Gavin Faith.
Faith, who also took a five-point lead into the weekend, crashed twice in the final and finished the round eighth. Styke controlled the 15-lap race from the onset to greet the chequered flag ahead of Choice Motorsports Brendan Harrison and his Serco Yamaha teammate Luke Arbon.
“It is a dream come true, two titles in 2013, it hasn’t really sunk in yet,” Styke explained.“ I was concentrating on the motocross this year and the plan with supercross was to hopefully play it safe and look forward to Europe.
“I really can’t believe it I am lost for words and can’t thank the team enough for sticking behind me.
“Everyone trains hard but it is the guy who puts in the most work that ultimately ends up on top,” Styke concluded.
Despite finishing eighth, Faith still finished the season second ahead of Raceline Suzuki rider Ryan Marmont.
Gold Coast rider Jay Wilson secured the Under 19’s title with a second place finish to Berry Sweet Yamaha rider Corey James in the final round.
The GTYR Yamaha rider dominated the 2013 season winning four of the five rounds to take the title 19 points ahead of James.
Yamaha’s Wilson Todd edged out KTM rider Brock McLeary in the Junior Lites class. Winning the fourth round of the series, the Queensland rider finished four points ahead of McLeary in the championship standings.
Pro Open main event results: Toowoomba
1. Matt MOSS, 2. Jake MOSS , 3. Jay MARMONT, 4. Daniel McCOY , 5. Lawson BOPPING, 6. Hayden MELLROSS , 7. Jacob WRIGHT , 8. Matt HAWORTH, 9. Lewis WOODS , 10. Brett METCALFE
Pro Open championship standings (After Rd 6 of 6):
1. Matt MOSS 123 , 2. Jake MOSS 118, 3. Josh HILL 103, 4. Jay MARMONT 99 , 5. Daniel McCOY 99, 6. Weston PEICK 83, 7. Sam MARTIN 69, 8. Lewis WOODS 54, 9. Hayden MELLROSS 51, 10. Jacob WRIGHT 51
Pro Lites main event results: Toowoomba
1. Luke STYKE , 2. Brenden HARRISON , 3. Luke ARBON , 4. Taylor POTTER , 5. Nickolas SUTHERLAND, 6. Ryan MARMONT, 7. Kayne LAMONT, 8. Gavin FAITH, 9. Wade HUNTER , 10. Luke WILSON
Pro Lites championship standings (after Rd 6 of 6):
1. Luke STYKE 135, 2. Gavin FAITH 128, 3. Ryan MARMONT 117, 4. Taylor POTTER 88, 5. Brenden HARRISON 86 , 6. Dylan LONG 84, 7. Kayne LAMONT 82 , 8. Luke ARBON 79, 9. Nickolas SUTHERLAND 71 , 10. Luke WILSON 58
Under 19s main event results:
1. Corey JAMES, 2. Jay WILSON, 3. Jake EMANUELLI, 4. Joel WIGHTMAN, 5. Blake SOLA, 6. Bailey COXON, 7. Jake DONAHER, 8. Izak MAULE, 9. Elijah WIESE, 10.Tristian DUNCAN11.Dylan WILSON
Under 19s championship standings (After Rd 5 of 5)
1. Jay WILSON 122, 2. Corey JAMES 103, 3. Jake EMANUELLI 98, 4. Joel WIGHTMAN 96, 5. Jake DONAHER 75, 6. Bailey COXON 67, 7. Izak MAULE 67, 8. Elijah WIESE 57, 9. James BROWN 49, 10. Tim O’BRIEN 39