Bowers Sweeps Two Nights of Action in RenoSunday, February 20, 2011 | 6:05 PM
Bowers Sweeps Two Nights of Action in Reno
Tiger Lacey Accomplishes Same Feat in Arenacross Lites
RENO, Nev. – After a strong first night in which he extended his points lead in the 2011 AMA Arenacross Series championship, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., made it a clean sweep in Reno after another convincing effort. In the Arenacross Lites class, Kawasaki rider Tiger Lacey, of Spring Creek, Nev., maintained the momentum he gained from an opening-night win to join his Arenacross class counterpart with a weekend sweep. Bowers’ fifth win of the season came on the heels of another strong start. TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, held the early lead, pacing the first third of the main event before a hard pass dropped him back. That allowed Bowers to grab the lead and pull away from his competitors. While he received a challenge from his Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki teammate Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., who did his best to keep Bowers honest, there was no stopping the wave of momentum Bowers is carrying right now. Johnson’s effort secured the runner-up spot while Gibson finished third.
A hard fight by Team Faith Yamaha’s Kelly Smith, of Ludington, Mich., resulted in a fourth-place effort, but he was in the podium mix throughout the main event. Bowers is in the midst of a four-race winning streak and now sits 12 points ahead of Gibson as the series hits the halfway point. The Arenacross Lites class was a welcome return to action for Lacey, who took advantage of the chance to compete in front of family and friends. His back-to-back stellar efforts in his home race was a feel good story for all members of the arenacross community and his outstanding riding on Saturday night made him no match for his fellow riders, claiming a convincing win of his own. Arenacross Lites Western Regional Championship points leader Chad Cook, of Oklahoma City, Okla., rebounded from a tough first night to secure the runner-up spot while Cycle Zone KTM’s Tanner Moore, of Auburn, Kan., brought home third. The AMA Arenacross Series continues its west coast swing next weekend from ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif., beginning at 7 p.m. PT.
Arenacross Class Results (Reno, Nev.)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
- Nathan Skaggs, Chilicothe, Ohio, Honda
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha
- Daniel Aulseybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Suzuki
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
AMA Arenacross Lites Class Results (Reno, Nev.)1. Tiger Lacey, Spring Creek, Nev., Kawasaki
2. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
3. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM
4. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda
5. Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki
6. Joel Fittro, Elmira, Calif., Kawasaki
7. Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha
8. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki
9. Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha
10. Noa Quinabo, Riverside, Calif., Suzuki
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 10 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 227
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 215
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 198
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 160
- Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Honda – 153
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 153
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 132
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha – 124
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 111
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 105
Arenacross Lites Class Western Regional Points (After Race 5 of 10)
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 105
- Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 83
- Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki – 67
- Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha – 66
- Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha – 51
- Tiger Lacey, Spring Creek, Nev., Kawasaki – 50
- Bobby Fitch, Littleton, Colo., Honda – 44
- Jeremy Huddleston, Eustace, Texas, KTM – 42
- Noa Quinabo, Riverside, Calif., Suzuki – 36
- Joel Fittro, Elmira, Calif., Kawasaki – 35
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com. For all media requests, please contact Brandon Short at [email protected] or 949-365-5750. For more information on the 2011 AMA Arenacross Series, log on to www.Arenacross.com. For all media requests, please contact Brandon Short [email protected] or 949-365-5750.
About Feld Motor Sports®
Feld Motor Sports®, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear Cowboyz®, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.
Share this article:
Did you like this article?
Check out WHEN DAYLIGHT BREAKSin our Latest issue of Racer X available now.
When the lights go off on supercross and racing hits the daylight with the launch of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, everyone gets to start over. Page 110.