INDIANAPOLIS – Rockstar/Makita Suzuki’s Chad Reed, of Tampa, Fla., won his first Monster Energy® AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, race of the 2009 season at the inaugural race inside Lucas Oil Stadium before 61,538 fans, tying the AMA Supercross class points race. Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Austin Stroupe, of Lincolnton, N.C., won the first Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class race of his 2009 season.
Reed opened the AMA Supercross class main event with the holeshot, leading his Rockstar/Makita Suzuki teammate Mike Alessi, of Apple Valley, Calif., and San Manuel Yamaha’s James Stewart, of Tampa, Fla., through turn one. The next 20 laps would be the Reed/Stewart show.
On lap two Stewart crashed while chasing Reed and remounted to stage an impressive comeback. Stewart, who had seven consecutive race wins coming into tonight’s race, passed Reed on lap 13. While Reed trailed Stewart’s back wheel for the next three laps, Stewart crashed for the second time and allowed Reed enough of a gap to ride off to victory. This marks Reed’s first win of the 2009 season, and the AMA Supercross class points race between Reed and Stewart is now tied heading into next weekend’s race in Daytona. Stewart finished second and Alessi finished third with his first ever podium spot.
“I knew that if I had a good start I could give myself a chance,” said Reed. “James (Stewart) has been riding awesome, and I want to take that next step. James made a mistake and I snuck around to get the win. This Indianapolis crowd made me feel like I was in front of my hometown crowd back in Australia because they were so loud and supportive.”
“I didn’t think the race would be that good,” said Stewart. “It was a good race, and I made a few mistakes. Chad deserves to win; he rode great tonight. I felt good tonight and this is the right way to break in Lucas Oil Stadium.”
After a re-start in the Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class main event, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel, of Corona, Calif., picked up the holeshot with his teammate Stroupe following in a close second. On the second lap Stroupe made an aggressive pass on Pourcel to move into the lead. Yamaha’s Matt Lemoine, of Collinsville, Texas, spent the early stages of the race in third place but was passed by Rockstar/Makita Suzuki’s Nico Izzi, of Murrieta, Calif. On lap nine.
Stroupe earned the victory, which was the second of his career, Pourcel finished second and Izzi third.
“It was a great day for me,” said Stroupe. “The first turn was pretty rough for us, but I was glad to get through there clean. This is a huge crowd and this is an awesome new venue.”
Tonight’s AMA Supercross class race will air on SPEED Sunday, March 1 at 5:00 p.m. EST. The Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class will air on SPEED at 6:00 p.m. EST.
AMA Supercross Class Results, Indianapolis
- Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Suzuki
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
- Mike Alessi, Apple Valley, Calif., Suzuki
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha
- Ivan Tedesco, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda
- Ben Coisy, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
- Davi Millsaps, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda
- Michael Byrne, Newnan, Ga., Suzuki
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Timmy Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 199
- Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Suzuki, 199
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 150
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 138
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 138
- Ivan Tedesco, Tallahasse, Fla., Honda, 132
- Davi Millsaps, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 116
- Mike Alessi, Apple Valley, Calif., Suzuki, 113
- Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 112
- Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 98
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results, Indianapolis
- Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Kawasaki
- Christophe Pourcel, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki
- Nico Izzi, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
- Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Kawasaki
- Steven Clarke, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki
- Levi Kilbarger, Logan, Ohio, Honda
- Daniel Blair, Modesto, Calif., Honda
- Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Yamaha
- Shane Sewell, Westville, Ind., Yamaha
- Kyle Keylon, Brooksville, Fla., Honda
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Christophe Pourcel, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki, 72
2. Nico Izzi, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 62
3. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Kawasaki, 57
4. Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Kawasaki, 43
5. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, KTM, 36
6. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., KTM, 35
7. Steven Clarke, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki, 35
8. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 34
9. Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Yamaha, 29
10. Daniel Blair, Modesto, Calif., Honda, 26
For more information on the Monster Energy® AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com. For all media requests, please contact Denny Hartwig email@example.com or 630-566-6305.
About Feld Motor Sports
Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Monster Jam®, Monster Energy® Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Freestyle Motocross, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.