AURORA, Ill. – Night one of the AMA Arenacross Series from Baltimore, Maryland, got off to an exciting start as Tuf Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Thornville, Ohio raced to his first win of the season and extended his points lead in front of the thousands at 1st Mariner Arena. Gibson’s teammate Josh Demuth, of North Richland Hills, Texas, opened the AMA Arenacross Lites Eastern Division Championship with a win.
After grabbing the early lead, Gibson never looked back and cruised throughout the 25-lap main event. Behind him, reigning series champion Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., and Demuth battled for the runner up position with the Babbitt’s Monster Energy Kawasaki rider prevailing.
“I was fortunate and got a good start,” said Gibson. “From there I was able to run my own pace. I want to thank Tuf, the track crew for building a phenomenal track tonight, Cernics, and this awesome Baltimore crowd. I’m pumped to be out here couldn’t ask for more.”
A series legend, Demuth took advantage of what has been a disappointing start to the season and raced in both the AMA Arenacross and AMA Arenacross Lites classes. The Lites win gives the veteran rider much needed confidence heading into the remainder of the season.
“This hasn’t been the greatest start to my season to say the least,” explained Demuth. “I figured I’d take the chance at more track time and race experience to help me out. I’m definitely happy with the result.”
Team Green Kawasaki’s Michael Willard, of Thornville, Ohio, and Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda’s Willy Browning, of Rushville, Ohio, rounded out the podium.
AMA Arenacross from 1st Mariner Arena continues on Saturday, January 10 at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Tickets are available online at www.arenacross.com, www.ticketmaster.com, www.tickets.com. For more information on the AMA Arenacross Series log on to www.arenacross.com.
AMA Arenacross Class Results, (Baltimore, Md.) 1. Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Honda
2. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
3. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda
4. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki
5. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki
6. Nathan Skaggs, Bainbridge, Ohio, Honda
7. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
8. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Michigan, Kawasaki
9. Keith Johnson, Albuquerque, N.M., Yamaha
10. Jim Neese, Julian, N.C., Suzuki
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Results (Baltimore, Md.) 1. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda
2. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki
3. Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki
4. Matt Cottrill, Chillicothe, Ohio, Yamaha
5. Chad Wages, Frederick, Md., Suzuki
6. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
7. Devon Pilkington, Virginia Beach, Va., Yamaha
8. Cody Gilmore, Spencer, Iowa, Honda
9. Ben Ritter, St. Mary’s, Pa., Suzuki
10. Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Kawasaki
About Feld Motor Sports Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Monster Jam®, Monster Energy® Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Freestyle Motocross, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.