AURORA, Ill. – After an extraordinary night of racing on Friday night, the AMA Arenacross Series concluded its opening weekend in Grand Rapids, Mich., with another night of exciting action from Van Andel Arena. Night one winner Keith Johnson, of Albuquerque, N.M., was searching for a two-night sweep, but could only muster a 12th-place finish tonight. In the end, Spinechillers Honda’s Nathan Skaggs, of Bainbridge, Ohio, grabbed his first career AMA Arenacross Series victory.
Foremost Insurance Suzuki’s Jim Neese, of Julian, N.C., earned the holeshot, followed by Skaggs and GPF Babbitt’s Kawasaki’s Shane Sewell, of Westville, Ind. On lap 13, a slight bobble by Neese allowed Skaggs and Tuf Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Thornville, Ohio, to get by. The two would distance themselves from the rest of the field to finish 1-2.
“This is my first win so it’s definitely great,” said Skaggs. “I didn’t quite get the holeshot, but I could see (Jim) Neese was getting tired so I made my move. After that I just never quit and rode hard all the way to the finish.”
Defending AMA Arenacross champion Chad Johnson recovered from a rough first night of racing to battle his way through to a podium finish in third place.
In the AMA Arenacross Lites class, Rushville, Ohio’s Willy Browning completed a stellar weekend, taking the victory on Saturday night to go along with a third place finish on Friday.
After two races, Gibson holds a three-point lead over Skaggs in the AMA Arenacross class while Browning carried an 11-point advantage over Joshua Lichtle, of Rochester Hills, Mich. in the AMA Arenacross Lites Midwest Region.
The AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend from 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore, Md., January 9-11.
Tickets are available online at www.arenacross.com, www.ticketmaster.com, www.tickets.com. For more information on the AMA Arenacross Series log on to www.arenacross.com.
AMA Arenacross Class Results, (Grand Rapids, Mich.) 1. Nathan Skaggs, Bainbridge, Ohio, Honda
2. Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
4. Shane Sewell, Westville, Ind., Kawasaki
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
6. Jim Neese, Julian, N.C., Suzuki
7. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki
8. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha
9. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Michigan, Kawasaki
10. Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Results (Grand Rapids, Mich.) 1. Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki
2. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
3. Michael McDade, Raleigh, N.C., Suzuki
4. Joshua Lichtle, Rochester Hills, Mich., Honda
5. Cody Gilmore, Spencer, Iowa, Honda
6. Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Kawasaki
7. Josh Thomas, Climax, N.C., Suzuki
8. Roy Horton, Frankfort, Ill., Honda
9. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Kawasaki
10. Jerry Lorenz, Morrice, Mich., Kawasaki
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Points (After Race 2 of 17) 1. Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki – 45
2. Joshua Lichtle, Rochester Hills, Mich., Honda – 34
3. Cody Gilmore, Spencer, Iowa, Honda – 31
4. Roy Horton, Frankfort, Ill., Honda – 26
5. Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Kawasaki – 26
6. Cody Robbins, Huntersville, N.C., Kawasaki – 23
7. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Kawasaki – 18
8. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Honda – 18
9. Matt Maier, Green Bay, Wis., KTM – 17
10. Gavin Faith, Duncombe, Iowa, Honda – 14
About Feld Motor Sports Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Monster Jam®, Monster Energy® Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Freestyle Motocross, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.