AURORA, Ill. - In front of a energized crowd at Van Andel Arena, the 2009 AMA Arenacross Series season kicked off in memorable fashion with some of the best racing in series history. Bobby J’s Yamaha’s Keith Johnson, of Albuquerque, N.M., grabbed the inaugural victory of the new year in AMA Arenacross class racing
Johnson, who grabbed a victory on Saturday night in Grand Rapids last season, took the lead after holeshot winner, Triple Effect Kawasaki’s Brock Sellards, of Sherodsville, Ohio, slid out leading into the catapult jump on lap five. Once out front, Johnson never looked back to lead the remaining 20 laps.
Sellards recovered to bring home a runner-up finish.
The story of the night came from the racing that followed the top-two riders as a handful of the sport’s most talented racers traded positions in the battle for third. A count of nearly 50 unofficial passes took place throughout the 25-lap main event. In the end, Sellards’ teammate Jeff Gibson, of Thornville, Ohio, rounded out the podium in third.
“I wan to thank Bobby J’s Yamaha,” said Johnson. “This wouldn’t be possible without Team Faith and Yamaha. They gave me all the support. You can expect to see me at all the rounds this season so this is a great way to start the year.”
Reigning AMA Arenacross Series champion Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., brought home his Babbitt’s Monster Energy Kawasaki to a disappointing 12th-place finish.
In the AMA Arenacross Lites class, CCM Yamaha’s Cody Adams, of Batavia, Ohio, took the win while Dave Ginolfi, of Lake Hopatlong, N.J., and Rushville, Ohio’s Willy Browning rounded out the top three.
“This is awesome,” said Adams. “I’m really happy to start the season off in such a good way. I’d really like to thank all of my sponsors because I wouldn’t be here without their help.”
AMA Arenacross from Van Andel Arena continues on Saturday, January 3 at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Tickets are available online at www.arenacross.com, www.ticketmaster.com, www.tickets.com. For more information on the AMA Arenacross Series log on to www.arenacross.com.
AMA Arenacross Class Results, (Des Moines, Iowa) 1. Keith Johnson, Albuquerque, N.M., Yamaha
2. Brock Sellards, Sherodsville, Ohio, Kawasaki
3. Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki
4. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda
5. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki
6. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Michigan, Kawasaki
7. Nathan Skaggs, Bainbridge, Ohio, Honda
8. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha
9. Shane Sewell, Westville, Ind., Kawasaki
10. Jim Neese, Julian, N.C., Suzuki
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Results (Des Moines, Iowa) 1. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha
2. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
3. Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki
4. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Honda
5. Joshua Lichtle, Rochester Hills, Mich., Honda
6. Cody Gilmore, Spencer, Iowa, Honda
7. Cody Robbins, Huntersville, N.C., Kawasaki
8. Roy Horton, Frankfort, Ill., Honda
9. Devon Pilkington, Virginia Beach, Va., Yamaha
10. Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Kawasaki