AURORA, Ill. – Saturday night at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa presented another exciting evening of action for AMA Arenacross. After a pair of strong performances on Friday, Thornville, Ohio’s Michael Willard earned the victory in both AMA Arenacross and AMA Arenacross Lites aboard a Honda.
The annual race from Des Moines is a stand-alone race and is not part of the 2009 AMA Arenacross Series.
Willard, who won Friday’s AMA Arenacross Lites class and finished runner-up in the premier AMA Arenacross class on a borrowed bike, completed a clean sweep winning both classes at Wells Fargo Arena. The Ohio native was the man to beat, dominating the 25-lap AMA Arenacross and 15-lap AMA Arenacross Lites main events.
“I couldn’t be happier,” said Willard. “To come out here on a bike that I’m completely unfamiliar with and win in both classes, I’m pretty much speechless. Last night, I felt like I should have done the same thing, but I guess sometimes things have a strange way of working themselves out. This is about everything I could do to promote myself for a ride for the upcoming season and I’m proud of that.”
In the premier AMA Arenacross class, Shane Sewell, of Westville, Ind., finished second for Rusty Ott’s, Prosource Yamaha while Cory Green, of Nowata, Okla., finished third on a Suzuki.
In the AMA Arenacross Lites class, Tyler Bright, of Lexington, N.C., finished in the runner-up position aboard his Makson Construction Suzuki with Millville, Minn.’s Alex Martin, on a Ti-Lube Honda, rounding out the podium in third.
The AMA Arenacross Series kicks off its 2009 season on January 2-4 from Grand Rapids, Mich.
Tickets are available online at www.arenacross.com, www.ticketmaster.com, www.tickets.com. For more information on the AMA Arenacross Series log on to www.arenacross.com.
AMA Arenacross Class Results, (Des Moines, Iowa) 1. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Honda
2. Shane Sewell, Westville, Ind., Yamaha
3. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
4. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki
5. Kurt McCabe, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Honda
6. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha
7. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda
8. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda
9. Justin Berry, Edmond, Okla., Kawasaki
10. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Results (Des Moines, Iowa) 1. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Honda
2. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki
3. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda
4. Kurt McCabe, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Honda
5. Justin Berry, Edmond, Okla., Kawasaki
6. Hunter Meyer, Colorado Springs, Col., Honda
7. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda
8. Bruce Dehn, Dayton, Minn., Kawasaki
9. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha
10. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
ABOUT FELD MOTOR SPORTS Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Monster Jam®, Monster Energy® Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Freestyle Motocross, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.