Burkhart Tops Ward In Dramatic Moto X SuperMoto Final; 1-2 Finish Is Exact Reverse Of Last Year’s Race
LOS ANGELES – Jeff Ward led for 30½ of 35 laps of the ESPN X Games 13 Moto X SuperMoto Final today, but in the second-to-last lap Mark Burkhart zipped by the veteran rider and held on to win the gold.
The finish felt eerily similar to fans of X Games SuperMoto: at last year’s X Games 12, it was Ward who snatched the win after Burkhart had led for 18 laps.
Turning last year’s silver medal into gold at X Games 13 was particularly sweet for the 27-year-old Burkhart. “This year I’ve been trying to ride differently,” he said after the race. “If anything, I’ve taught myself to be patient, and patient people get rewarded.”
He went on, “I’ve been racing patient, trying not to throw away the race at the beginning. The guys who are the most fit will finish best. Those last fifteen minutes are always a killer.”
A sellout crowd packed The Home Depot Center in Carson, CA, and cheered Burkhart as he crossed the finish line.
Moto X action continues today with Moto X Racing beginning at 5:45 p.m. PT, and the Moto X Freestyle Final going off this evening at 7 p.m. PT.
Final standings from the ESPN X Games 13 Moto X SuperMoto race held at The Home Depot Center in Carson, CA on August 4, 2007.
Name / Hometown
1. Mark Burkhart / Pataskala, OH
2. Jeff Ward / Newport Beach, CA
3. David Pingree / Temecula, CA
4. Ivan Lazzarini / Pesaro, Italy
5. Jeremy McGrath / Encinitas, CA
6. Micky Dymond / Placentia, CA
7. Steve Drew / Buckeye, AZ
8. Robbie Horton / Martinez, CA
9. Troy Herfoss / Goulburn, Australia
10. Tyler Evans / Hollywood Hills, CA
11. Benny Carlson / West Bend, WI
12. Adam Cini / Brisbane, Australia
13. Brandon Currie / Anaheim Hills, CA
14. Gary Trachy / Orange, CA
15. Carey Hart / Las Vegas, NV
16. Eric Sorby / Corona, CA
17. Chris Fillmore / Oxford, MI
18. Chad Reed / Tampa, FL
19. Steve Chambon / Entraigues, France
20. Darryl Atkins / Tokoroa, New Zealand