After a weekend of rest the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship series headed out to Southwick, MA. for round 3 at famed Motocross 338.
MOTO 1: Ryan Villopoto got an excellent start in Moto 1 and saw himself in 2nd place going into the first turn, before he quickly took the top spot from Michael Willard. Ben Townley was not far behind Villopoto making quick work of Willard to take over 2nd position. From lap one to the finish, Ryan made no mistakes to take the victory over Townley for the first moto, with Ryan Dungey rounding out the top three.
MOTO 2: Moto 2 of the Lites class proved to be more eventful than the first with Ryan Dungey grabbing the holeshot and holding on to the lead for the first 2 laps. With Ben Townley and Ryan Villopoto charging hard in 2nd and 3rd, Dungey had his work cut out for him. Townley took over the lead on the beginning of the third lap, but Dungey immediately retook the position, trying to hold off Ben for as long as he could. After swapping leads a few times, Townley made his way past Dungey for the final time in moto 2.
Behind all the action for the lead, Ryan Villopoto was charging his way to the front, wanting a shot at his second victory of the season. Villopoto made moves to get himself into the number 2 spot on lap four and had Townley in his sights. It looked like it was going to be a repeat of the season opener in Hangtown when Ryan took the 2nd overall in the tie-breaker between himself and Townley. But Ryan would be having none of that. After chasing Ben down, Ryan took over the lead with 10 minutes to go.
Shortly after Villopoto took the lead, Townley got a bit of luck handed to him. Villopoto made a mistake which dropped him back to fourth, and saw Townley and Dungey get by. Ryan quickly got up, restarted and made his way back up the back. After finally getting around Dungey for 2nd, Villopoto looked to chase down his teammate. It seemed to be too late to catch Townley, who had already found himself with a comfortable 4 second lead.
At the end of moto 2 it was Townley for the win, his second of the season, and Villopoto taking the second, while Dungey again rounded out the top three.
Next weekend the series heads to Budds Creek where we are sure the Thor riders will solidify their spots in the standings.
1. Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 2-1
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 2-2
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 3-3
4. Jason Lawrence, Murrieta, Ga., Yamaha, 5-4
5. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 4-5
6. Kyle Chisholm, Seminole, Fla., Kawasaki, 9-6
7. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 6-9
8. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 8-10
9. Billy Ainsworth, Columbia, Conn., Kawasaki, 12-11
10. Robert Kiniry, La Fayette, N.Y., Kawasaki, 11-13
Lites Point Standings (after 3 rounds)
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 138
2. Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki,130
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 116
4. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 112
5. Jason Lawrence, Murrieta, Ga., Yamaha, 101
6. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 74
7. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 63
8. Broc Tickle, Cary, N.C., Yamaha, 58
9. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda, 55
10. Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Yamaha, 46