Southwick Practice UpdateSaturday, June 9, 2007 | 2:23 PM
In this article…
- Gavin Gracyk
- Mike Alessi
- Grant Langston
- Kyle Cunningham
- James Stewart
- Ricky Carmichael
- Andrew Short
- Jason Lawrence
- Ryan Villopoto
- Davi Millsaps
- Antonio Balbi
- Ricky Renner
- Ryan Dungey
- Tim Ferry
- Josh Grant
SOUTHWICK, Mass. (June 9, 2007) – Kawasaki’s James Stewart posted the fastest lap time in Saturday’s practice session, setting the tone for the 31st Annual Mototees Southwick National, presented by Scott USA, round three of the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship, presented by FMF. Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto set the fastest lap time in AMA Motocross Lites.
Stewart, of Haines City, Fla., put a temporary stop to fellow competitor Ricky Carmichael’s recent dominance. Stewart set the fastest lap time in both practices, with his first session time of 1:54.167 standing out atop the class. Carmichael, of Tallahassee, Fla., pushed his Suzuki to a near-best time of 1:54.446. Yamaha’s Grant Langston, of Clermont, Fla., was third fastest with a time of 1:56.575.
Southwick’s famed sand track at the Motocross 338 facility is the site of the epic Carmichael/Stewart battle a year ago. And if practice was any indication, these two should put on another show for the 20,000-plus fans that are expected for tomorrow’s main event.
In AMA Motocross Lites, Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., posted a 1:57.029, which was three-tenths of a second quicker than last week’s winner, Honda’s Josh Grant, of Riverside, Calif. (1:57.351). Honda’s Thomas Hahn, of Decatur, Texas, was third fastest at 1:57.601.
Local hero Christopher Pugrab, of nearby Ellington, Conn., turned in the fourth fastest time of 1:57.971, showing that a little local knowledge can go a long way on a track that is considered by many of the top pros to be “one of the toughest on the circuit.”
The top 40 riders in each division qualify into tomorrow’s two-moto main event. Opening ceremonies start at 12:00 p.m. for tomorrow’s Mototees Southwick National, presented by Scott USA, round three of the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship, presented by FMF. Racing starts at 1 p.m.
Saturday Practice Results
AMA Toyota Motocross Championship, presented by FMF
Mototees Southwick National, presented by Scott USA
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 1:54.167
2. Ricky Carmichael, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 1:54.446
3. Grant Langston, Clermont, Fla., Yamaha, 1:56.575
4. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 1:57.277
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 1:57.967
6. Antonio Balbi, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 1:58.382
7. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 1:58.677
8. Gavin Gracyk, Coshocton, Ohio, Honda, 1:58.880
9. Nicholas Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 1:59.033
10. Timmy Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 1:59.176
AMA Motocross Lites
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 1:57.029
2. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 1:57.351
3. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 1:57.601
4. Christopher Pugrab, Ellington, Conn., Kawasaki, 1:57.971
5. Jason Lawrence, Murrieta, Ga., Yamaha, 1:58.030
6. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 1:58.697
7. Tyler Medaglia, Canada, Suzuki, 1:59.159
8. Ricky Renner, Mulberry, Fla., Honda, 1:59.614
9. Kyle Cunningham, Springtown, Texas, Yamaha, 2:00.357
10. Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 2:00.373
For more information on the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship, presented by FMF, log on to www.amamotocross.com for live timing and scoring at @theWireLIVE!.
Racer X Illustrated will host a new and improved webcast on www.motocross.com, with live racing action hosted by Jason Weigandt. The Racer X Motocross Show on Motocross.com has also been added on Saturday night of each race weekend, featuring practice footage and interviews taken earlier in the day.